was able to sit down with Joe Johnston and look over the uniform(s) for the new CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER movie and checked out the new designs. They aren't able to pass along information without Johnston's approval but they are able to describe what they saw to us. I have taken what they posted and broke it down into the key elements.
- Captain America will have two different costumes in the film.
- Costume designed by the Army for his initial USO appearances that's slightly more flashy and a nod to the original design.
- Captain America creates a new costume that's more battle-ready. This second costume will the primary costume for the film.
- Trademark wings that flank the side of Cap's hood are gone. In fact the "hood" is gone entirely. In its place is a more traditional M1 Army helmet though this helmet does come over the eyes to give Cap a traditional "domino mask" look.
- The white "A" in the middle of the hat.
- A thick black strap comes down over the ears and connects under the chin.
- On his chest still lies the white star though it's not as prominent as the comic version.
- The costume is still split horizontally through the middle with blue on top and red and white stripes on the bottom.
- His shoulders have pads over them that extend down to about mid-bicep and are attached via a brown strap under the arm.
- Captain America is wearing blue pants tucked into brown utility boots. The pants aren't skin tight but they aren't baggy either. The pants actually have a fly so Cap can take a leak if he needs to.
- The suit actually has a practical WWII military look to it.
- As for the shield, it actually hews very closely to the classic design of red/white/red rings with the white star in a blue circle at the middle.
For a complete description, click on the link here